Hello and welcome to your long over-due travel update…
As many of you know, I have been planning on going to Germany for several months now. However the specifics of that trip have taken on various forms. For those of you who are new here, let me get you up to speed:
- The original plan was to go to Germany in the middle of August and stay there for 5 months. While I was there I would be volunteering at an organisation outside Frankfurt
- By breaking my ankle at the end of June I essentially burnt that plan to the ground, because I couldn’t get travel insurance until 3 months after the initial accident
- Plan B was to go in the middle of October and stay for 5 months (still volunteering at the same organization)
- However my visa situation threw a big ol’ monkey wrench into Plan B. Because it would expire within my first couple weeks in Germany and I didn’t know how to extend it for my full time abroad
- Plan B 2.0: I would wait for my visa to expire before I left, and then simply go to Germany for the 90 days that you are able to without a visa
- Life happened and circumstances changed, and I no longer wanted to/was able to be in Germany for 3 (or more) months
- However I still wanted to go to Germany, all be it for a shorter amount of time, to see all of my friends. Which brings me to the present day and the purpose of this post…
And now for the moment that you’ve all been waiting for, the grand unveiling of my new (and hopefully final) travel plan…
After careful consideration I have decided to travel around Germany for a little over a month. In that time I will get to see many friends that I am long overdue to visit; as well as to see many places that I have wanted to go to for a long time. I will be flying out right before Christmas (and then spending Christmas with a lovely friend of mine) and then spending the rest of my time couch surfing and train hopping from friend to friend, and place to place. At the end of it all I will be flying back home at the end of January (hopefully with many pictures and even more stories). So as you can see, there have been a lot of revisions to my initial plan but the desire to go abroad has never left me.
It’s been a long time coming, and even though it’s taken on a much different shape than I had originally envisioned, I am beyond excited to go on this adventure. I am so thankful to get this opportunity to travel somewhere for me. I’m not going to fulfill someone else’s expectations or wishes; I’m going because I want to go. And I’m going to see the places that I’ve always wanted to see, and I’m going to see all the people that I’ve missed seeing.
Finally it all seems to be coming together. Now I just need to work out the finer points of my travel plans, and then in 52 days I’ll be flying out for 40 days of fun, laughter, and adventure! Wish me luck!